Monday, August 13, 2012

Staying On Track

MOTIVATION MONDAYS
My favorite season is just around the corner.  In fact, if this morning's low temperature of 63 degrees is any indication, it just might be here in time for September.  I won't hold my breath on that, though.  This year has not been a model for seasons.

Fall (aka Autumn) has always been a symbol of new beginnings for me. While New Year's Eve/Day is the traditional time to make changes and set new goals, mine has always been that time when the new school year rolls around.  And while it's been (mumble, mumble) years since I've attended school, I haven't been able to shake that new and exciting feeling when Back-to-School time rolls around and the promise of a new start is in the cool, crisp air.

Back-to-School for me now means fewer small people in my home, and this year there'll be four of the five grandkids heading back on Wednesday.  Only one--3-year-old Payton--will be here.

While I would love to say that I'll be looking into that fresh start this week, I can't honestly do that.  I'm in the middle of a deadline and halfway through finishing the book.  It's been a wild ride this year.  One would think that as the g-kids grow older, the watching-over of them would be easier.  No, it's more like the older they grow, the bigger they get, taking up more space that the year before.  It's getting crowded in here!  Writing during the day used to be doable.  Now it's become impossible.  That means less gets done, and that leads to getting behind on goals.  When I get behind on goals, I'm more easily distracted.  That's cause for trouble.

I have a long list of things I want to do--office rearranging, bedroom fixing up, movies to watch, a new season on TV--but I have to tell myself to be patient.  I can meet that deadline if I stay on track.  It's only a month away.  All those things can wait for a little while.  Come Wednesday, my schedule will change and I'll be making adjustments, but I'm looking forward to it.  There may be a switch in the track, but I'm staying on.  After all, there's a promise of a new start in the early morning air.

Are you setting new goals or are you working on current ones?  If neither, why not?
If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living. ~ Gail Sheehy




No comments: