Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Long Holiday Break is Over

It seems like only yesterday that it was the day after Christmas. (By the way, the day after Christmas is my favorite day of the year. It's another 365 days until next Christmas.) Time has gotten away from me and I see it's nearly Valentine's Day. Now that's a holiday I let go by without a bit of fanfare.

Since the end of the holiday season, I've been busy. I switched rooms. More precise, I switched my office and bedroom. This is not an activity for the faint of heart. And it took three weekends. It also took nearly rebuilding my desk after breaking one side in half...horizontally.

So why did I attempt this death defying feat? My bedroom, in which I sleep 5-6 hours a night, change clothes twice a day, and occasionally read in bed, was the largest of the two rooms. My office, where I spend the majority of the other 18 hours, is the smallest. It didn't make sense to squeeze my life into a smaller room when I had the option of a larger one. Uh huh.

But it was worth it. The broken desk (with accompanying weeping), the ancient (and ugly) government issue 5-drawer file cabinet that weighs more than all my grandkids together and caused my back to ache for 5 days, the boxes of papers and files and "stuff" that still need to be gone through were all worth it. I just wish I knew when everything would find its place and get there, because my moving time has run out, and it's time to get back to real work--writing and friends and websites. Copy edits for my August Harlequin American arrived yesterday. The long holiday break is definitely over.

No comments: