Monday, February 6, 2012

A Swift Kick - Motivation Mondays

Okay, I admit it.  Somebody needs to hang a kick me sign on my back today.  Maybe that will motivate me to get in gear and get something done.

That's right.  I'm not feeling at all motivated to do anything except maybe crawl back into bed and sleep for a few hours.  This is not a good sign, and I'm fighting that need to snooze.

Let face it.  Sometimes motivation is elusive.  Thinking positive thoughts, reciting affirmations, playing uplifting music and dancing around the room doesn't always do the trick.  And maybe that's okay.  Maybe a short downtime is exactly what's needed.

There are hundreds of reasons why getting motivated can be a chore.  In my case, I worked more hours than I should have over the weekend.  I had a project to finish, and I was determined to do it.  (One of those "goal" things, I guess.)  In face, in addition to that project, I also managed to get the new phone plugged in and the old phone moved to the living room so I could hear it while watching TV, which I don't do often.  That was followed by a sudden need to sort papers and bills and clean off my desk...which won't last for more than a few hours.  Cleaning in the utility room happened later in the evening and was something that desperately needed doing, as did the load of laundry that cried out to be washed.

Working weekends has just become a part of me, but maybe I shouldn't let it.  Maybe it's true that we really need some time to goof off and not give in when work--that can wait a day or two--keeps calling.  Added to that is not having a vacation for four-going-on-five years, and a day off isn't just due, it's almost become a desperate need.

So if you're having a day that motivation isn't to be found anywhere, go ahead and spend some down time.  Before you know it, you'll be up doing something, even if it's nothing more than getting a glass of water.  And then you'll notice that sink full of dishes is calling out, and you can't say know.  Sometimes the best motivation is not thinking about all the things that need to be done.  Take break.  Get a glass of water.  And follow your instincts.  Before you know it, you'll be motivated and ready to get back to work.

Rest when you're weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work. -  Ralph Marston

No comments: