Monday, December 31, 2012

Ring Out the Old...

MOTIVATION MONDAY
This is it.  The last holiday...the last day...of 2012.  It's a time to reflect on the year that has past.  A time to remember our successes and and celebrate them.  It's also a time to look at those things that weren't a success and learn why.

I've said it here before, and I'm going to repeat it.  I don't make New Year's Resolutions.  Why?  Because like most people, the majority of those resolutions never see the light of day.  We have good intentions.  Excellent intentions, in fact.  But they lack what's needed to succeed.

Instead of making resolutions, I set goals.  Not only do I set a goal, but I also plan a path to reach it.  I try to make sure the goal can be achieved, because setting a goal that's impossible to attain is a waste of time and energy.

Did you set any goals for 2012?  Any kind of goal.  It could have been a writing goal, a self-improvement goal, or anything you felt you needed as a positive push in you life.  I set a writing goal, along with my fellow WARA members, and I'm happy to say I not only reached it, but surpassed it.  Later in the year, I set a goal to walk a mile or two at least five days a week.  I didn't do as well with that goal, once the really hot summer weather arrived...and stayed.  But for almost two months I worked on it, so it wasn't a complete fail.  Simply trying is a positive.

If you haven't given any thought to setting a goal for 2013, that's okay.  There's still time.  If not today and tonight, then over the next week or month or whenever you discover you need motivation to get you start and keep you going.  Working on the goals we set is motivation in action.

May 2013 be your year to shine!

Ring out the old, ring in the new, Ring, happy bells, across the snow: The year is going, let him go; Ring out the false, ring in the true. - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

No comments: