Monday, October 28, 2013

The Best Things in Life

Last week was spent trying to catch up from the week(s) before.  And because I was late last week, I promised a wrap-up of what kept me so busy.

The picture of the four beautiful women on the left are proof that I've been busy for a long, long time.  Okay, not that long, but almost thirty-four years.  More than half my life. You see, those are my daughters.  My #3 daughter was married to her heart's desire last Saturday, and her sisters stood with her to help clinch the deal.

It was a beautiful wedding, held outside with lots of sunshine and a group of friends and family to share the beginning of the bride and groom's life together.  Amazing, because it snowed the day before.  Not a lot, just big flakes falling from the sky and lots of cold and rain.  The rehearsal and rehearsal dinner that evening didn't go all that smoothly, thanks to some of the younger family members, who drove the bride-to-be to tears.  Then came the morning of the wedding, starting with early appointments at the hair salon, accompanied by two rambunctious boys.  They were removed when I picked them up and took them to their cousin's ice skating lessons, my "job" for the morning.  Not long after we finished with those, I was called to the salon to wait for my youngest to be done.  Later, my good friend arrived, ready to drive several of us to the wedding, and since my time at home had been severely limited by trips to the salon, the ice center, the salon, home, and back to salon again, we were running late.  I forgot my make-up, my camera, and probably half of my brain in the rush to get to the wedding in time for pre-wedding photos.  At least I remembered my dress and shoes!

But it wasn't about me, and I enjoyed staying in the background and watching not only the wedding, but joining in the reception, dinner and dance that followed.  Everyone had a wonderful time, and by the end of the day, we were both happy and exhausted.

Life now returns to normal.  There's a deadline looming, and I'm running two weeks behind.  That means lots of BIC-HOKing, in between dashes to take and pickup those grandkids.  Everyone's schedule is still crazy, but it's down to normal crazy, not pre-wedding crazy.  So work and writing go on.

We work, we play, and we enjoy everything we can.  We make lasting memories in big moments and small.  And we do what has to be done, when it needs to be done.

In spite of looming deadlines, I'm going to make some adjustments to the blog.  Writing tips will move to Friday...especially because that's where they seem to eventually be written.  Because I've been around for a long time--in life--I'm going to give some blogging time to memories of childhood, growing up, and what it was like to live through the 1950s, 60s, 70s, and starting a family in the 80s.  Look for those on Wednesdays.  Mondays will be eclectic, a what's on my mind collage of bits and pieces.  I hope you'll find one or more of those topics fun, if not interesting. :)
Just when I think I have learned the way to live, life changes. ~ Hugh Prather

No comments: