Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Memorial Day Late

May has been an extremely busy month for me, evidenced by the lack of posts here. Pretty obvious, huh?  Even the Memorial Day weekend was spent working, although my youngest and I did take advantage of a few sales on Saturday to kick off the weekend.  But working meant not focusing on the holiday, and for that I feel bad.  So here is my short tribute to family and friends who served our country in times of war and have passed on.


My uncle served in Korea.  The only time I heard him speak of his experience there was well after I was grown, while visiting him and my aunt when they lived near Branson, Mo.  His comment was that the wooded area nearby reminded him of being in Korea.  He didn't like it, but he did love living near Table Rock Lake and spent much of his time boating and fishing, when not traveling or working on wood projects.

Uncle Duane passed away just over a week ago on May 22.  He was 81 years old.








Pat McCullough gave his life in Vietnam in 1969.  He was one of those guys who loved life and lived it to the fullest.






 




Pat wasn't the only one who gave his life for our country in Vietnam.  Two other young men from my high school are also among the 58,267 names on The Wall in Washington, DC.

Visit the Virtual Wall

No comments: