Monday, October 31, 2011

Ghosts and Goblins and Ghoulies, Oh My!

Yes, it's time for my favorite holiday!  No, you won't see me dressed in Halloween garb nor will I have carved or uncarved pumpkins lining my porch.  But I do have my office decorated for this special time.

There are those who collect Santa Clauses and Christmas villages.  I collect bats and witches and trick-or-treating children.  Well, not real bats or real children.  That would be wrong.  My big witch hangs from the ceiling, and my black, feathered witch hat hangs on my wall.  And just like Christmas shoppers, my youngest daughter and I visit Walgreens several times every year before Halloween for collectible goodies, and tomorrow we'll haunt Walmart for the clearance sale so we'll have a start on next year.

Plans for the night?  We don't get many trick-or-treaters on our street, so my custom has become to turn out the lights and turn on the TV, while I watch TAPS investigating some spooky place or maybe the history of Halloween on the History Channel.  But more than likely it'll be a Halloween-y movie.  Here's a short list to choose from:

  • The entire Buffy the Vampire series
  • Casper
  • The Crucible (How scary to have been named a witch in those days!)
  • Ghostbusters 1 & 2
  • Jeepers Creepers (not my style at all)
  • Scream, Scream 2, Scream 3, Scream 4 (I watched the first one Saturday night, just for a warm-up.)
  • Little Shop of Horrors
  • Rocky Horror Picture Show (Nothing like a little Time Warp to get the ball rolling.)
This year I think I'll choose Hocus Pocus, followed by Practical Magic, my favorite witchy movies.  I mean, who can resist Aiden Quinn as a sheriff with one blue eye and one brown eye?  Can we say HERO?  It'll be a great Halloween!  And if, as the veil between this life and beyond lifts, there's a message, I'll be sure to pay attention.  Well, if I'm not too focused on Aiden, not to mention Goran Visnjic, that is.

"Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing,--
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."
     Macbeth (IV, i, 14-15), William Shakespeare

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No comments: