Thursday, November 3, 2011

It's a Wrap

That Halloween pumpkin isn't toast, it's pie.☺  Yes, it's all over but packing away costumes and making sure the candy is well hidden to avoid tummy aches.  And Thanksgiving is just around the corner, so if you didn't get enough candy while sifting through the trick-or-treat bags on the sly or finishing off anything that might have been left of the pass-out candy, have no fear.  The season of POP (Putting On Pounds) is now in full swing.

It's also the season for spending more time inside.  We had our first good freeze last night, and the trees that have been losing their colorful leaves are definitely looking a lot less leafy now.  Our house got a new roof last week, so we're hoping that by the time the really cold weather sets in, the heating bills will be just a little less than last year.  Green tea and hot cocoa are beginning to be the beverages of choice as the weather cools.  Summer is officially over, and I'm wondering where it went.  Fall will soon slip into winter, a little at a time.  With snow and cold in Denver, CO, we know we'll be getting our share in KS.

Cold weather means more reading time for me, and I've added several new books to my Kindle.  Although reading time isn't always easy to find, I enjoyed reading more than I'd realized over the summer.

  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett was a step back in time for me, as I'm sure it was for many who read it or saw the movie.  My growing up years occurred during the civil rights movement, so, as a child, I'd seem similar things and had asked why.
  • Hawks Mountain by Elizabeth Sinclair was a joy to read, and not because the author is a friend, but because it was a beautiful story with a twist I didn't expect.  I'm looking forward to the other three Hawks Mtn. books.
  • The Year She Fell by Alicia Rasley also had twists and turns.  Each time I thought I had everything figured out, I discovered I didn't.  Great writing, as always, and a story that kept me turning pages.
  • Sweetie by Kathryn Magendie was an interesting story of a young girl, who's world is opened up to new wonders and new truths by another girl, who leads a much different life.
  • Hate List by Jennifer Brown lived up to my expectations.  The story of the girlfriend of a school shooter gave insight to the troubles today's teens deal with.
  • Ascension: A Dark Breed Novel by Sable Grace was a different type of read for me.  I don't tumble into the paranormal, but this one was a super read. Again, the author(s) are friends, but the story hooked me, and I'm anxiously waiting for the next.
  • Cybill Disobedience by Cybill Shepherd and Aimee Lee Ball is Cybill's eye-opening autobiography.  My oldest daughter suggested I get it and read it, and I'm glad she did, because it was well worth the time spent reading.
There are a few more, but I'll save them for another time and hope there'll be even more time to enjoy new ones.

With Halloween over for another year, it's time to add another family photo to the mix.  My grandkids are growing so big!  Even Payton, who was mentioned here on my blog several times when she was born with a heart defect, was big enough to really enjoy trick-or-treat this year.
(back, l to r) Alexandria (as Barbie), Scarlett (as a zombie fairy), and Gavin (as a Ninja).

(front, l to r) Payton (as a little devil), Jaxon (as a giraffe)

Hope your Halloween was as happy as theirs!


The wastebasket is a writer's best friend.  ~Isaac Bashevis Singer 

No comments: