Friday, July 5, 2013

Post Holiday Reflections

I had every intention of writing a blog post yesterday, first thing in the morning.  After that, my plan was to write.  And write some more.  But plans often go awry, and I ended up doing updates on a website that took longer than planned, and then I started reading the blogs of other writers.  By the time I started writing, it was late, and the evening was filled with booms and bangs.  Let's face it, except for watching a well-done, aerial fireworks display, I'm not a fan of the noise of firecrackers and the like, and I opt out of the things that sell from a tent.

Instead of sharing my distaste of fireworks for fear that someone might think I'm unpatriotic (I'm not!), I'd like to share some of the blogs I follow on both a regular and an irregular basis.  There's good stuff out there!  Sometimes I'll find something that makes me stop and think or spurs me to write my own blog on the same subject.  Yes, the latter requires thinking, too.

My first blog stop is often at Kristen Lamb's Blog.  She's smart, she's funny, she's spot on.  And she's learning, just as we all are.  Kristen not only shares her trials and triumphs, she shares hints and tips that she learns along the writing and publishing path.  Let's face it.  Writing can be lonely.  Writing can be difficult.  But knowing that others experience many of the same things can make those negatives more easily to except and change.  And you'll love the pix she posts of her son, The Spawn.

The next on my list of blogs to visit is Joe Konrath's  A Newbie's Guide to Publishing.  Joe has been writing and publishing for many years, and he knows the business.  I don't make it to Joe's blog every day, but when I do, I have a lot of reading to catch up on, whether posts from Joe or from his guests.  Experience is the best teacher, whether yours, mine, or the experience of several others, and we can learn from all of it.

If you're serious about epublishing and are considering publishing your own ebooks, JW Manus's Blog is one you'll want to follow.  Jaye shares information on a variety of things regarding formatting your book for epublishing.  Jaye has tips, tricks and how-to's for converting your book to ebook and where to find more information.

If you're writing romance, don't miss Trish Wylie's 2009 blog series, Not at Nationals - Common Writing Mistakes.  ("National" meaning Romance Writers of America's annual National Conference)  It's fabulous!  Unbelievably, I found it last week. SMH  I'm serious, folks.  Trish shares a lot in a little space.  A lot of good stuff.  A LOT!!

Another blog I don't visit nearly as often as I should.  That's probably because I keep forgetting to bookmark or follow it.  Jane Friedman's tag line, Writing, reading, and publishing in the digital age, says it all.  As she says in her blog bio, she's been "working in the publishing business since the late 1990s."  Who better than someone who knows the ins and outs, goods and bads?

Everyone has their favorite blogs.  The above of are some of mine.  But I'm always looking for more, so I'd love to know your favorites.  Maybe I'll add them to my list. ☺
Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.  – Dale Carnegie

No comments: