Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday Mania

That cute little graphic on the left isn't as generic as many might think.  There's no reason why it shouldn't be.  But...

For the past few months, I've been watching college basketball.  More precisely, my two favorite teams, the Wildcats (Kansas State University) and my hometown Shockers (Wichita State University).  I've been a WSU fan for much longer than I've been a KSU fan, but because they're in different conferences, it's okay.

KSU didn't do too badly...playing at "home."  However, road (away) games gave them trouble.  WSU, on the other hand, hasn't had that problem.  The now 34-0 team is ranked #2 in the nation.  How do they do it?  They play one game at a time.  It's a "we'll win this game and worry about the next one when that first one is over."

I think that's a pretty good way to live our lives.  One day at a time.  One game at a time.  One play at a time.

Why worry when there's nothing we can do about tomorrow, except finish today by living it the best we can?  Funny that I would say that, since I've become a worrier over the years.  I'm trying to get control over that, so when I realize I'm back to worrying--about bills, the age of my car, the weather, my family's problems--I stop and remind myself that worrying has never changed anything---except maybe make things worse.  I'm working hard to turn my negativity to positivity, too.

I'm also trying to regain my sense of humor.  Somewhere along the line, it's all but disappeared in many facets of my life.  I've been working on that, too.  And believe it or not, it's tied up in those basketball things.

How so?  I've been reading the WSU chats/boards/whatever on ESPN.  There are a lot of KU (Kansas University) fans, who hate and despise anyone but KU.  I'm not a KU fan and haven't been for a whole lot of years, but I wouldn't saunter over to the KU chats/boards/whatever on ESPN and post obnoxious comments about how bad KU teams are.  (KU isn't all that bad, so why lie?)  I have my reasons for not being a KU fan, but they're my reasons, and I doubt anyone really cares what they are.

Which brings me to how badly people now believe in "public."  Not the real public, but media provided by the internet.  Whether it's my-school-vs-your-school or my-political-party-vs-your-political party or anything else you can thing of, this big old world has shrunk to the size of a...computer.  How does this tie in to regaining my sense of humor?  By watching some of the most disgusting comments ever posted on FB, ESPN, Twitter, Amazon reviews, and every other type of "social media" or whatever venue is available to voice an opinion.  If I don't have anything nice to say, I don't say it.  Usually. ☺

People seem to like to denigrate others, and the only reason I can find for it is that some people feel the need to bash someone or something else to make themselves feel superior.  Frankly, I don't enjoy spitting venom at others.  You see, my opinion is my own.  It may not be the same as yours.  In fact, if it is, the reasons for it may not be the same.  My opinion is worth as much as yours is, and yours is as much as mine is.  Do I think my opinion is right?  Sure I do.  I'm human.  But I've never found arguing or forcing others to agree with me, when they really don't, all that uplifting.

One of my favorite pieces of writing is the Desiderata.  It begins with this:
Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
The Desiderata was quite the thing back in the 60s.  Those "hippie" days.  But the above makes good sense.  I'd like to post it as a comment on some of those social media places to remind people that a) we all need to get along, and b) each of us has the right to an opinion, but try speaking it "quietly and clearly," lest you show your hate.

The Wichita State Shockers will be playing in the NCAA Basketball Tournament.  Will they win?  I hope so!  But it's basketball.  Anything can happen.  Even a 34-0 season.  Hey, Shockers, I'll be watching!
We may have our private opinions but why should they be a bar to the meeting of hearts? ~ Mahatma Gandhi

No comments: