Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence Day!



As Ellen DeGeneres put it so well on Twitter, "Happy 4th of July! Today we celebrate the Declaration of Independence, which commemorates the day Will Smith saved our planet from aliens."  Perfectly said, Ellen. :)

Yes, it's the mid-summer holiday we celebrate by re-enacting the sights sounds of war. (Think about it.)  I've been spending my day working on a client's website, breaking down old, used, empty cardboard boxes that are taking up room in my kitchen, and fighting the ants that have invaded my living space.  Later I'll be wishing this day and the next was over, thanks to the neighborhood fireworks noise that went on until after midnight last night.  Okay, I get the message.

It wasn't the fireworks that kept me up.  It was Sunday night, the night Mallory and I watch Buffy on the Chiller network, beginning at 11 pm and lasting until I can't keep my eyes open any longer.  We have the complete series on DVD, so it's a bit nutso to stay up until the wee hours.  Chiller runs 6 shows on Sunday nights.  I often make it through the first 3.  Mallory has watch the DVDs so many times that she's a walking, talking Buffy Encyclopedia.  She knows what happened in each season (there were 7), and all the little tidbits there are to know about the characters and the actors who play them.  I consider myself doing well to remember my name in the morning.  We even have my oldest daughter hooked on re-watching.

My favorite characters are Giles (Anthony Head, who I loved from the old Taster's Choice coffee commercials), Spike (James Marsters, the best vampire ever), and Glory (Clare Kramer, because she made evil fun).  That's just the top of the list.  It's been great to see Nicholas Brendon on Criminal Minds, and we're always able to recognize Marc Blucas (Captain Cardboard/Riley Finn) when we see him acting in something.  It wouldn't be fair to leave out Seth Green.  Or David Boreanaz (of Bones, which I've been watching with Mallory on Netflix).  Wow, what a cast, and that's only scratching the surface.

Mallory is the Buffy aficinado.  I'm just a fan.  Am I the only one?  Anyone else want to share about Buffy?  I could do a whole month. ☺

Have a happy, fun and safe 4th!

No comments: