Wednesday, July 6, 2011

So You Want to Be a Writer

Just a few days ago, an acquaintance and reader told me she wants to be a writer.  Not only does she want to, but she's working toward that goal.

It isn't surprising that both men and women aspire to write.  Many people who enjoy reading would like to share their own stories with others.  I say, Hooray!

And then I'm asked for advice.

Who?  Me?!  Who I am to be giving advice?  While it's true that I've been writing for more than fifteen years, I still have a lot to learn.  A lot.  But I'm happy to share what I've learned and what I'm learning.  If it hadn't been for the hundreds, even thousands of writers who have guided me along through those early years and continue to do so as both friends an fellow writers, I would've given up, long ago.

Writing can be a lonely endeavor.  In fact, writers and other artists are at a high risk for things like depression.  But it doesn't have to be lonely when there are others out there to share.  The Internet has given us the opportunity to break out of what used to be isolation and meet others who share our dream.  So join me on the writing journey and let's see where it takes us.

No comments: