Monday, August 22, 2011

Rainy Days and Mondays

It isn't really raining.  The streets and sidewalks aren't wet, just showing occasional big drops.  It's barely enough to have to turn on the windshield wipers even less than the lowest intermittent setting.

But the sky is cloudy and gloomy, keeping the sun from brightening the room...and me.  It was a blah weekend, while I searched for a project I could sink my teeth into...or put my heart into...or just get into.  I'd think I found it, only to discover after settling at the computer that my interest had already waned.

So it isn't really the rain or the cloudy skies.  Sometimes it just happens.

I read The Help this weekend.  Although I found it slow going at first, due to written dialect, which always give me a little trouble, once I got the hang of it and attached it to the character, the story and all the characters grabbed my attention.  By 5 a.m. on Sunday, after reading all Saturday evening and night, I forced myself to put the book away so I could get some sleep, with a promise to finish the book later.

The ending holds promise for people of all color.  Segregation ended--or was supposed to have ended--several decades ago.  But I remember it, and although things have changed, I still see remnants of it.  I expect there will always be some, at least in my lifetime.  Even on this cloudy, raining, and gloomy Monday, there's hope.

Here's wishing all a happy and productive week, no matter what your weather or even your current mood. :)

No comments: