Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Should Be...

If you can't tell by the picture on the left, the rest of the title of this blog post should be the word "writing."  I'm hearing strains of the BeeGee's song from Saturday Night Fever, You Should Be Dancing, in my head, only it isn't "you" and "dancing" that I'm hearing.  It's I and writing.  I don't want to look at that writing progress meter down there on the right.  It's one more reminder that I've accomplished nothing in the writing department for almost two weeks.  Or maybe it's been over two weeks.  I've lost track.

In case you just dropped in out of curiosity, the members of my local writers' group are working together on a new project.  We're trying to reach word count goals we've set individually and collectively.  At present, our group goal for 2012 is 1,639,700.  Yes, that's right.  Over a million and a half words.  There are fourteen of us involved.  I'm not the only one who hasn't had my nose to the grindstone...uh, fingers to the keyboard.  Life has intruded for most of us.

But that's okay, because we know that catching up now on our individual goals will be much easier than if we wait until, oh, December 31.  All I know is that I need to get in gear and get writing.  Just as soon as I do some tweaking on the new website of a friend.  And do some updates on another website.  And get that contract revision letter thingy signed and in the mail.  And convince myself that it does not matter that the IRS's Where's My Refund is not working online and wondering if that means refunds are not being sent.  YIKES!  Oh, just a gazillion other little things that I allow to intrude.

So here's the deal.  I'll get all those intrusions out of the way this morning, and use this afternoon for the writing side of the writing business.  If the creativity gods are willing, of course.  It's obviously time to start setting a daily schedule.  Ha!  Like that's going to work.

A little inspiration.  To dance, at least.  I'm not promising anything for writing.
And if you can stay in your chair while this is playing, there's a problem.

The only way to learn to write is to write. - Peggy Teeters

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Thanks for the flashback.:)