Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Let the Holidays Begin!

For me, Thanksgiving is the kick-off point for the holiday season. In only 4 weeks, it will be Christmas Eve, then we'll roll right into 2009. And so I sit here on the eve of Thanksgiving, while the turkey finishes thawing, knowing time is going to fly, and I've only just begun buying Christmas gifts. That could be because I don't know what I'll be giving everyone.

The one thing I don't want to do is rush the holidays. One of our local radio stations has been playing Christmas music for a couple of weeks. For me, that's too soon, but even one national chain store was playing the same only a couple of days ago. And, of course, with Christmas coming on quickly, I'll need to download a holiday ringer or two for my cell phone. After all, 'tis the season.

Tomorrow, after two of my daughters are done attending the Thanksgiving dinners of their "other" families, we'll all get together at another daughter's house for our own family Thanksgiving. Somehow this year, I'm stuck with preparing the whole meal, but it isn't a first, and I'll let them take on Christmas dinner.

There's a lot to be thankful for this year, even though we're expecting the economy to get worse before it gets better. I'm always thankful for my family, and everything else is secondary. I hope those reading this are in touch with their own families, whether in person, via a phone call or the internet. Just remember, Christmas really is right around the corner.

I'll go check on that turkey now...

No comments: