Monday, December 1, 2008

Happy After-Thanksgiving!

Whew! What a day, followed by what a weekend!

Our family Thanksgiving dinner waited until evening on Thursday, so everyone could be there. Everyone meaning all twelve of us. Traditional food for us includes the turkey, mashed potatoes (real, not instant) and gravy, corn, green beans, made-from-scratch macaroni and cheese, strawberry salad (angel food cake, strawberries, crushed pineapple, whipped cream), pumpkin and cherry pie, and cherry cheesecake, which really isn't, but it's close enough. Add the usual pre-meal celery, carrots, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, pickles, etc., and to say we were stuffed is an understatement.

But the best part of the day is just being together around the table. That always goes on into the late hours, so by the time we all returned to our respective homes, we were tired but happy.

And then comes the rush to Christmas...

I spent Black Friday finishing all but one item on my list, but although the crowds were still thick, I didn't get up at the crack of dawn (5 a.m.!) to do it. 9 a.m. was good enough for me, and I found more than the items on my list. Returning home, I hit the Internet and spent---well, more than I should have, but I know that what I got will bring smiles to all. A quick trip to check on a book at one of our local Barnes & Nobles (I had a 40% off coupon!), netted me zilch, but I was able to pick up an external CD drive for my new netbook (8.9' mini-notebook) for $15 less than I thought it would be, and I ordered the book online, complete with discount. Not bad for someone who didn't have a complete list the night before.

So with only one gift left to buy, I'm feeling relaxed and even bought the boxes, wrapping paper, and bows last night, ready to start wrapping BEFORE Christmas Eve. That'll be the first in a loooong time. Have I mentioned that I'm Queen of Procrastination?

I hope your Thanksgiving was fulfilling with a great dinner and surrounded by family and friends!

No comments: