Monday, November 7, 2011

Another Rainy Monday

While it really isn't raining cats and dogs, I couldn't resist the clipart image on the left.  It made me laugh, and because Monday's aren't generally all that funny, it was too tempting to pass up.  I hope it at least brings a smile to anyone who sees it.

To all those who are NaNo-ing this month, here's hoping you've found the writing groove and getting words on paper more easily.  I chose not to participate, after all, but I'm cheering for those who are.  When there's been time to do some reading and editing, I discovered that the 1675 words I wrote on Nov. 1 weren't half as bad as I'd expected they might be.  This WIP is not a romance, but a YA with paranormal elements.  I started this as a panster with no idea of plot and only a couple of characters.  I have no idea what's going to happen and I'm almost enjoying that.  There's also no date that it needs to be done, so I get to write at my own pace...if I ever figure out what the pace is for this one.

Writing constantly toward publication or under contract can, after long periods of time, become a little tedious or chip away a tiny bit at creativity.  Taking a short break when possible promotes a clearer mind.  Some people are lucky enough to get away physically, others fill their break with reading--often out of their usual genre.  For others creating something different, whether in the same medium (as in writing) or something else (as in drawing) can be refreshing.

Long ago when I wrote for Silhouette Romance, I found I had big chunks of empty time that needed filled.  I like to create, but I can't draw to save my soul, and at some point I became interested in website design and later in graphic design.  While it's still creative, it must use a different part of my brain, because I often find that when I've been working on websites for a while, unable to get to putting words on paper, that's when I yearn to write or have some of the best ideas.

So if you're having a rainy day...or even if you aren't...try doing something different for just one day.  If it works, use it again whenever something else begins to feel stale.  Writing something in a completely different genre you've never tried make open new doors in more ways than one.

Books want to be born: I never make them.  They come to me and insist on being written, and on being such and such.  ~Samuel Butler

No comments: