Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Am I Losing My Mind?

My youngest daughter was diagnosed with GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) a few years ago. It was a relief to finally have an answer to why she had so much trouble attending school, even though she really wanted to, and unable to deal with new situations or even go shopping without somone she knew and trusted being with her. Because of her GAD and the panic attacks that go with it, we've been searching and searching for a way for her to finish earning her high school diploma without going the GED route and without costing a small fortune.

We finally found it this summer when I heard an ad on the radio for Insight School. It's an accredited online school, currently available to students in seven states, where she'll earn the credits she needs for graduation and a real diploma, just as if she were in a traditional school. The fun but also difficult part was choosing the courses she would be taking, starting this fall. Besides the usual core subjects required, she needed several electives, and she wanted to take a foreign language. Her choices were Spanish, French, Latin, and Mandarin Chinese. Yes, you read that right. Mandarin Chinese.

I've taken both Spanish and French, but am probably more familiar with French, so that would have been my first choice. Besides, I like the way it sounds. :) She wasn't so sure she wanted to do that, so I suggested Latin might be a good choice, since most Romance languages (French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese) are Latin-based, as are many English words and science words. She agreed.

She agreed?! Oh, my! While I could have helped her some with Spanish or French, I'm not all that familiar with Latin. Okay, I did attend Mass as a child when it was still spoken in Latin, and I might recognize a word or two, but I don't consider that much of an education. I guess I'll be learning Latin, right along with her. But maybe that isn't such a bad thing. It won't hurt me to stretch my brain a little. Or a LOT.

If you live in Kansas, Colorado, Nevada, California, Minnesota, Oregon, or Wisconsin and are looking for an alternative to traditional schooling for your high school student, you might want to look into Insight. I'll continue to blog now and then about this new adventure and keep readers updated on how it's working out.

Have a GREAT week!

No comments: