Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Friendship

It would be almost impossible to get through life without friends. No, it would be impossible. Friends are the sunshine of my life. They're there when I need a shoulder to cry on, advice, or to share the latest joy. I hope I do the same for them. I try.

With the advent of the internet, friendship has taken a new direction. When I was in school, I had several pen pals. Remember them? A few were former classmates I kept in touch with after moving to a new town, another was in Alaska, and there was another in the Netherlands. I thought my world was broadened as much as possible! I was wrong. Now I have friends all over the U.S. and the world, and at the click of a button--and without sticking on a stamp--it's almost like being there.

Without email and the internet, I don't know if I'd be writing, and since I love writing, that wouldn't be good. The internet put me in touch with others who had the same dreams and goals. Kathie DeNosky (Desire author) was one of the first writers I met online. It didn't take us long to become friends. We're both crazy as loons! We met in person in Dallas, TX at RWA's national conference in 1996 and not only became critique partners, but the very best of friends.

A group of writing friends began to form and grow. In 2001, half a dozen writer friends created a Yahoo group to stay in touch. We called ourselves the Ditzy Chix, the name saying it all. Our numbers have increased and decreased in the seven years since then, but we're staying steady at ten now. All of us live in the eastern half of the U.S. Except for Bronwyn Jameson, our favorite Aussie. We're always there for each other to share the triumphs and defeats of life, and although we've never all been able to get together at one time in person, it doesn't change our friendships. If you'd like to get to know my friends better (and who wouldn't!), you can check us all out on the Ditzy Chix website. You may find you already "know" some of us. Feel free to drop us an email to say hi. We love hearing from new (and old!) friends!

Email: The next best thing to being there.

No comments: