Friday, July 18, 2008

It Doesn't Have to Be New to Be Good

A couple of years ago, on a whim, I picked up a copy of Kristin Hannah's Comfort and Joy. It was a beautiful and strange story, set in one of the most magnificent parts of the country, the Pacific Northwest. I don't remember why I bought it, except it was a smaller book and took place at Christmastime. I'm a sucker for Christmas stories. And somewhere amongst all my books, I have a copy of Angel Falls, although I've never read it. I also especially enjoyed Magic Hour and passed it along to family and friends after reading it a couple of months ago.

On Mystic Lake, which I finished reading today, is a beautifully sad but empowering novel of a woman who realizes she has lived the life others expected her to live and believed for twenty years that she was happy, until her husband tells her he wants a divorce. There were several aspects of the story I could relate to personally and others that went beyond anything similar to my life, but I find that happens with many books and makes the read more interesting. On Mystic Lake is one of Kristin's older books, but it's worth getting, and I expect I'll read it again someday.

No comments: