Thursday, July 10, 2008

Movie Mania--Debut!

For the past 10 days I've been dealing with an asthma attack. I don't normally have a problem with asthma. In fact, there's only been one other time I've been "attacked" by it, and that was 9 years ago! But something triggered it again, and even knowing that it could be controlled only by going to the doctor, I put it off again. Luckily this time it wasn't so bad that I couldn't even drive. I saw the doctor this morning, and by noon was on meds and feeling much, much better.

The reason for the above is because it explains a new topic, aka a label. (Look at the bottom of each post, and you'll see a label describing what topic the post falls under.) Because I found I couldn't do much of anything while trying to breathe under this new attack, I dove into my movie collection and watched a few.

I love movies. Old movies, new movies, action/adventure movies, romantic comedy movies, musical movies... Yes, the list is endless. I've been watching movies since I could sit down in front of a screen (TV in most cases) and not fall asleep. And because I love movies so much, it's impossible to pick one favorite. I have groups of favorites.

I started collecting movies during the advent of the VCR. I never counted how many movies we bought during that time, but there were bunches. And bunches. I've now moved on to DVD, although I can't say I was among the first to do so. I tend to drag my feet when it comes to new technology. That could be why I never had a Beta VCR or movies on laser disks, so maybe "caution" is a good thing after all.

Last count, we (my youngest daughter and I) have 266 movies on DVD, and that isn't a completely accurate count. The 7 seasons of Buffy that belong to my daughter are not among those 266 (and not really "movies"), and there may be one or two others that are missing, not to mention that most of the kidlets movies are not listed either. We now keep a database of movies, and I've lost count of how many times I've had to call home to ask if we have this movie or that movie so I don't buy something I already have.

My birthday present to myself this year was to splurge on movies. I bought 16 within a little over a week. I did find some great bargains, though. And because I have so many and lots of people love movies as much as I do, I decided to share some of my thoughts on the movies I now own. No, not all 266, but the best (and maybe worst, in my opinion) of the lot. It's also an excellent way to make myself WATCH some of the movies I haven't even opened yet!

Here's the list of those newest ones, but I'll decide later which 2 or 3 to post about next week.
TWISTER (Because Gavin, the oldest of my two grandsons, begged to see it.)
THE MIRACLE WORKER (The original with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke, of course.)
FANTASTIC FOUR
FANTASTIC FOUR - Rise of the Silver Bullet (Both of these because I liked them and thought Gavin would, too.)
INHERIT THE WIND (One can't go wrong with this excellent classic, and I've seen it on stage)
INDEPENDENCE DAY (I have it on tape, but it was a must-have on DVD)
JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG (A classic must-have that I've only seen once on the late, late show.)
DAREDEVIL (Well, gee, I have ELEKTRA, and who can resist Ben Affleck! yum, yum)
PARENTHOOD (I cry at the end of this because it's a happy ending and Steve Martin does such a great job as the dad...and more reasons later.)
12 ANGRY MEN (I read the play before I saw the movie. Another great classic.)
ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN (Hey, I missed it on TV too many times, so had to have it.)
BLAZING SADDLES (The first Mel Brooks movie I remember seeing.)
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (More Mel and company and requested by my daughter. We have 3 others.)
AND THE BAND PLAYED ON (Already owned on tape, but this couldn't be passed up.)
JFK (Another owned on tape and one of the few Kevin Costner movies I like. please don't boo me. :) )
ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Eclectic mix, isn't it? Next week, movie mania (and this movie maniac) will begin in earnest.

And hugs to everyone out there who has to deal with asthma day to day. My heart goes out to you.

No comments: